Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, July 04, 2010

    Now that's What I call a Pie

    In August, New Zealand is going to be lucky enough to get a visit and some shows from Rick Stein.
     Read about it all here

    He is going to Auckland and Wellington. Having seen Rick in action in March, which was the highlight of my year so far...If you get the chance, go see.  He will be featuring our excellent New Zealand Produce and will be inspiring us all to get out there and cook, Local and seasonal. This brought me to think about our produce and family favourites. It's cold and comfort food is high on my list.

    When I left home to get married aged 19. My Mother just couldn’t get used to cooking for only 3 instead of 4 and always cooked too much food… (or at least that is what she said... I really think, she thought I wasn’t capable).
    So young and innocent!

    Three of our favourites, which she loaded into large Agee preserving jars, for me to pick up on the way home from work, were, Her Famous Chicken Soup, The Best Steak and Kidney, plus Rhubarb and Apple compote.

    I want to share the Steak and Kidney and even though it is delicious with mashed potatoes and say peas…I think turning it into a pie is changing an English dish, into a New Zealand Favourite.
    Along with the Australians, we are Huge pie eaters.
    Some tomato ketchup or a tasty chutney on the side. A meal fit for a king.
    Actually on reflection, I have also added the Rhubarb and Apple...look at the bottom of this post.

    Got a few hints from Master Chef Australia re the kidneys. It was suggested that the kidneys should be soaked in milk overnight, to remove any really strong flavours. I did it… I’m not sure if I noticed any major difference.
    I thickened it with a slurry of flour and water, like my Mother did, then added the secret ingredients... Worcester Sauce and Grandma’s Homemade Tomato Ketchup.
    Mr Heinz’s ketchup will do.

    So first to make the Steak and Kidney
    Olive oil and butter
    1 kg of Chuck Steak
    Seasoned flour for dusting
    4 Lambs Kidneys
    Good slug of Brandy

    1 large onion chopped
    Sea salt and Black freshly ground black pepper
    2-3 sprigs of thyme
    Low salt Beef Stock


    Worcester Sauce
    Tomato Ketchup
    Slurry of flour and water to thicken

    Cut kidneys in half and soak in milk overnight
    Cut the steak into cubes and dust it with seasoned flour.

    Brown in a frying pan in oil and butter half and half

    Put into pot
    Meanwhile drain and pat dry the kidneys and remove white sinews

    Cut into cubes and dust with flour
    Add more oil and butter to pan
    Add to pan and brown off.
    Cook for a few minutes and then add brandy to deglaze
    Reduce to burn off alcohol.

    Add to meat
    Add some more oil gently sauté onions
    Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Add thyme
    When soft, add beef stock to pan

    Bring to boil then add to the steak and kidney
    Make sure there is enough stock to just cover the meat.
    Simmer for about 1 1/2 hours till steak is tender.

    Now for the added extras
    the Tomato Ketchup and Worcester Sauce
    It's up to you how much you add
    Just Taste and adjust to your taste buds

    Make a slurry of 1 tablespoon flour and 2 tablespoons water

    Stir into stew.
    Bring back up to boil simmer again for about 5 minutes to cook out the flour
    Keep stirring so that it doesn’t catch.

    It is best eaten the next day… so set it aside to cool.

    Now its time to make the Pie
    I used the very nice Edmonds Butter Flaky Pastry.

    Line the pie tin with pastry
    Prick it
    Fill with Steak and kidney
    Cover and crimp.

    Brush with egg wash for a nice golden colour
    Into a 205C oven

    It should take about 30 minutes
    Turn it around after 15 minutes.

    Bring it out and there, that’s what I call a pie.
    Golden, Flaky, succulent, brimming with nostalgia
    Yum.

    While we are on pies. We all love an apple pie.
    This recipe from Ina Garten, ticks all the boxes.
    Citrusy and spicy with the added tang of Craisins
    Nicccce
    Click on here to get the recipe
    Serve warm.
    Now for an excellent accompaniment try this.

    I had some of the apple mixture left over so that led me to make another of my Mum's best dishes.

    Rhubarb and Apple Compote.
    I cleaned and cut up 6 rhubarb sticks
    Added them to the leftover apple mix which was approx 1 apple.
    You will need to add some more sugar. Rhubarb is very tart on it's own.
    But once again it's up to your taste buds
    Everything into a pot bring to simmer and cook gently about 15 minutes till the fruit is soft.
    There should be enough juice from the apple mix.
    Cool.
    Warm the pie, doesn't it look great?

    Cut a lovely slice
    Onto a bowl
    Surround with the compote and a big dollop of whipped cream

    To almost die for!

    Of course Leftovers.
    How about a Perfectly Poached Egg 
    on top of heated Steak and Kidney
    on top of hot buttered Vogel's Toast
    And a little dab of Grandma's Tomato Sauce.
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Heaven.

    5 comments:

    RamblingTart said...

    Hi Gilli! Thank you so much for coming by my blog today. :-) You made me so very happy with this post!! I've been reading British books my entire life and have longed for steak and kidney pie. Now I can make it! :-)

    Katie Zeller said...

    Funny about the 'colonies; isn't it? Americans are huge pie eaters, too.
    Lots and lots of sweet pies, but everyone grows up with 'Chicken Pot Pie'

    So So Simple said...

    I just love a pie. I have some in the freezer makes a nice quick lunch. Katie do you ever eat bacon and egg pies they are huge here and fab. You could try that on the French!

    Gastronomy Gal said...

    Maybe she just had the thought that her daughter would starve- ! Such a caring mum to prepare too much and give some to you!

    So So Simple said...

    I Know G Gal It always was a treat