Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, October 17, 2016

    Asparagus and Tomato Salad - Spring on a Plate

    Two of my favourite vegetables and they pair so well. Dressed with a White Balsamic and Shallot Dressing, what could be better for lunch? Not a lot
    Don't worry about quantities, just use what you have
    Above I used 3 bunches Asparagus and 12 Cherry tomatoes
    and 3 tablespoons dressing

    First break the ends off the asparagus
    I actually lightly peeled the stalks but that is not necessary
    Blanch in boiling water well seasoned with salt and little sugar
    Bring back to boil and simmer until fork tender about 2 minutes

    Immediately drain and throw into a bowl of iced salted water, to stop them cooking and keep that beautiful green colour
    The water needs to be salted, so that you don't lose the flavour when cooling down 
    Move them around and when cool, drain again
    I cut each spear into 3 pieces, your choice again

    Meanwhile make your dressing, this will keep in a good airtight jar, in the pantry for ages
    I like using White Balsamic Vinegar in dressings, there is a lovely sweetness to it, which enhances the vegetables

    50 mls White balsamic Vinegar
    1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
    Sea salt and freshly Ground Black Pepper
    1 medium banana Shallot, peeled and finely chopped
    100 mls good Extra Virgin Olive Oil

    Place the vinegar, mustard salt and pepper in a jar with a lid
    Shake well to emulsify
    Then add the Olive oil and shake again
    Taste and add more seasoning if you need it
    Cut the Cherry Tomatoes in half and place in a bowl with 3-4 tablespoons of dressing
    Leave to marinate for a while

    Add the asparagus and toss
    Best made at least an hour before eating,
    Keep at room temperature
    Tastes better in my opinion
    All packaged up ready for me to take to my lunch date

    If you query the use of sugar, while cooking the vegetables, it's something my Mother always did
    Particularly with green vegetables
    Also, I heard on the radio...from a famous Chef Based in Parnell, the same advice
    So it must be right

    No comments: